Monday, November 5, 2012















Went for another trip up the highway. This time I ended up in Ararat for a look at the old mental asylums. I went on the night tour of "J Ward". It was initially built as a gaol in 1861 and turned into an asylum for the criminally insane in 1887 and was still in use up until 1991.

Second on the list was 'Aradale' one of Australia's largest mental asylums. Unfortunately I didn't get to go inside, (will have to do it another time) but they do have tours on specific nights. Built in 1865 and closed in 1998. It's huge and spread out over a number of buildings.

Also on the way home I came across a fairly large abandoned school site - corner of Victoria St and Stawell St South, Ballarat. I didn't get any pics because it was getting dark and I had to 'get the fuck outta dodge'. But if your out that way check it out.